kek
Sign in to follow this  
Curufinwe

Round VI.5 Format

Alright, so I've spoken to everyone who was playing last round and opinion on going forward seems to be evenly split between options 2) starting a new round and 3) starting a new round with some tweaks to accelerate it.  Personally I'm leaning towards starting with some tweaks, since the last round ended pretty early and we've all done the beginning stuff before, plus this will hopefully get into the entertaining stuff faster.  

Anyways, here's my thoughts on what an accelerated round would look like:

1) For Govs;

- A fully surveyed home system, meaning every planet and moon in your HS is already surveyed and ready to be mined

- A free medium tech of your choice

- 300b in starting monies for units and buildings

- Two colonies with a starting population of 26m inhabitants in either your HS or in one adjacent system of your choice that is connected by a red space lane (so you can start in two systems if you want)

If someone would prefer to forgo the colonies then they can instead select an additional medium tech to start with.

2) For non-Govs

- Outposts in 6 systems to start with, rather than 3

- A free medium tech of your choice

- 80b in starting monies for units and buildings

- One colony with a starting population of 26m inhabitants in a system in which you have an outpost (it can't be in another players' HS)

If someone would prefer to forgo the colony then they can instead select an additional medium tech to start with.

Anyways, these should provide people with a decent start that approximates where we were at when the last round ended and allow things to pick up a little more quickly.  I've already spoken to the people who played last round, but I'd like to keep this round relatively small (so no more than 10 factions and preferably 8 or 9, with most of those being govs) and stick with 2 day turns, since I think a common problem I (as well as Josh) ran into is trying to do too much too fast, which leads to the round ending early.  Since I'd like to avoid that, keeping it relatively simple should help with that.  So yeah, let me know if anyone has any issues with the proposed format and we'll go from there.

kek
5 hours ago, Curufinwe said:

- 200b in starting monies for units and another 100b for buildings 

So your only giving us extra money specifically for buildings? That seems like a lot of money just for buildings. I would rather just give a boost to overall starting money so people can choose if they want more units, or more buildings. And maybe less, since 100b more is a lot of money imo.

- 30b in starting monies for units and another 50b for buildings

Again 50b just for buildings is just silly, even more so for non-govs that really don't make that many buildings to begin with, giving them almost double their starting money just for buildings is just silly.

- One colony with a starting population of 26m inhabitants in a system in which you have an outpost (it can't be in another players' HS)

This is something I am not okay with. I know it's not super hard for a non-gov to get a colony but they do need to put more effort than normal to get one, I think just giving every non-gov a colony is not just silly, it's stupid, getting a colony for a non-gov should be a bigger deal imo and I don't want a non-gov getting a colony anywhere near me since I would never give them a colony ship in the first place honestly.

2 hours ago, jimmyvbuck said:

So your only giving us extra money specifically for buildings? That seems like a lot of money just for buildings. I would rather just give a boost to overall starting money so people can choose if they want more units, or more buildings. And maybe less, since 100b more is a lot of money imo.

Again 50b just for buildings is just silly, even more so for non-govs that really don't make that many buildings to begin with, giving them almost double their starting money just for buildings is just silly.

This is something I am not okay with. I know it's not super hard for a non-gov to get a colony but they do need to put more effort than normal to get one, I think just giving every non-gov a colony is not just silly, it's stupid, getting a colony for a non-gov should be a bigger deal imo and I don't want a non-gov getting a colony anywhere near me since I would never give them a colony ship in the first place honestly.

Well the amounts aren't really that large - if you wanted to build, say, a Class IV colony type (40b), 6 Class III Mines (27b), a Class IV Dock (20b) and a couple of shipyards (say 10b), that's 97b right there.  In terms of what someone could reasonably be expected to build in the first 10 turns or so, it's probably a fair bit less in terms of stuff.  Same deal if a non gov wants to build shipyards, enlarge bases (since they'd have 6) or build industrial complexes and such.  Still, I'll fold it into starting monies so people can do either buildings or units, as you suggested.

As for the colony thing, most non govs end up with a colony in the first 10 turns if they're so inclined - pretty much everyone but you has either ceded colony rights in a system or sold a colony ships at some point or another (sometimes multiple times to the same player).  So I'm cool with a non gova having the option to have one colony, since it's definitely something they'd have 10 turns or so in if they wanted one.

I would like to start with maybe 1 mediudm one small or 2 medium techs, so we have some diversity (most people will take mining otherwise). Also those techs should be non tradeable. Also i dont want to research the same stuff over and over again :p 

For the already scanned systems: With a big system you know have an advantage because eveything is already scanned. Maybe we should limit the amount of scanned plantes/moons to the lowest one player has.

2 hours ago, Linus Vulp said:

I would like to start with maybe 1 mediudm one small or 2 medium techs, so we have some diversity (most people will take mining otherwise). Also those techs should be non tradeable. Also i dont want to research the same stuff over and over again :p 

For the already scanned systems: With a big system you know have an advantage because eveything is already scanned. Maybe we should limit the amount of scanned plantes/moons to the lowest one player has.

Well we could do two medium techs or one medium and two small techs and ban tech trading until turn 11 if that works for everyone.   In terms of the scanning, there is a cost associated with actually building the mines and the deposit qualities will vary, so there's a random element to it, but notionally we could also limit it once I get an idea of who is starting where.  This time we'll be changing it somewhat by giving maps before people buy units and buildings, so a decision can be made if someone ends up with a one planet system or something :p

Sign in to follow this