kek
John_Chance

John_Chance's Application [Accepted]

Nation Name: Tranquility
Nation Link: https://politicsandwar.com/nation/id=125381
Previous alliances and Previous Positions: I just joined the game today and this is the first alliance I've even applied for.
Have you done something to piss someone off in P&W?: no
What skills can you offer BK?: I'm a stay at home father so I have plenty of time to monitor my account most days. I'm new to PW but definitely willing to learn whatever is needed in game. Out of game I studied secondary education with a focus on history in college and I've a fairly decent grasp of such things.
We are a military alliance, which means you will be required to stockpile a warchest (stockpile of resources and money) which will cut into your growth, are you okay with this?: yes

kek

While in the application process you MAY NOT start any wars, if you do so you will be denied.

We expect activity out of our applicants. If you go more than 24 hours without answering a question you will be rejected.

What made you want to join BK?

Awards

It actually wasn't any one thing that made me want to join.

I decided to start in Africa because continents with similar resources have very low populations compared to N. America, Europe, and Asia. That's where I first notice BK, they are listed as the biggest active alliance based in the area. I didn't know if distance would play a role in the game mechanics but I knew I'd feel better looking into a local alliance first.

So you were already on my radar when you sent me an automated recruitment message almost the moment I joined. That showed both good organization and advanced infrastructure. It was impressive.  Suddenly I was much more interested in looking at this alliance rather than pushing through more of my fourteen day trial period before applying somewhere with a nation to showcase.

Finding out that BK are the second highest ranked alliance on the server was impressive. Yet the number of wars top members had lost VS won worried me until I looked specifically at Nikhelobultra and Curufinwe and noticed how active they both were. That showed me that even if few members were in the top ten lists I didn't need to worry about this alliance getting it's cumulative score from simply having large numbers of sub par players. Those guys are good! 

I was also impressed that Eregion is part of BK but doesn't contribute directly to score. Again this was very professional from an organizational standpoint. The best alliances in Travian did the same thing years ago when I dabbled there. Personally I hope this game's warfare doesn't need the same sort of split second timing and coordination we used back then; but if it does seeing best practices in play here gives me confidence going forward.

Still I might have waited. I'm very new to this game; but I reached the objective to apply to an alliance and there was no doubt where I wanted to go first. So I sent in my application and got paid for it. It's a long answer but . . . I guess I seldom do anything for just one reason. It's just not how I like to operate.

I'm not sure that there are any games exactly like this out there but I have played several games that have similarities.

A little over a decade ago I played a text game with a name like "space empires" where you ran an empire and fought other players. In some ways that is similar to this. Around the same time I also played a game called Travian where you built towns, defended them, and worked in an alliance to achieve group goals. Again there are similarities but it's not quite the same.  Perhaps eight years ago just before my son was born I got into a game called Stronghold Kingdoms that also had some aspects of this game.

I've only been in P&W for a day so while all of those games remind me of this in one way or another I can't say any of them are a direct parallel. I'm sure things I learned in those games can be applied here but I'm also well aware that my preconceived notions can get me in trouble. I've already made note of a couple mistakes I made in developing my first two cities. Nothing I can't fix, but even then I may learn more later that could have me changing strategy again. lol

Are you familiar with Discord? If so, what is your username and ID?

How active do you plan on being on our forums, in-game and on Discord?

Awards

Yes I'm on discord as John Chance. I believe my tag/ID is #8704. I haven't said anything there but I have visited both the politics & War discord and the Black Knights one. 

Feel free to pop in and get to know some of our members.

We have an academy for new members. It will help you learn more about the game, and how to grow your nation efficiently. Are you okay with doing this?

Awards

I'd love to browse through an academy and see all sorts of helpful tips. I didn't spot the academy when I popped in the first time but I'm guessing it's not open to just random guests. Either that or I'm a derp and just missed the thing. lol

Select one of the following, or use your own words, to best describe what kind of member you will be:

I would like the protection and economic benefits that BK offers, and I will fight in wars for BK, but I don't really want a job or to be particularly involved.

I want to be moderately active in the BK community. I will post on the forums and hold a job.

I want to be extremely active in the BK community. I will frequent the forums and the discord channel, and would like to work my way up to a leadership position in the future.

I'm just here so I don't get fined. (raided)

Awards

I will likely be extremely active in the BK community. I will post on forums and fight in wars. Depending on the jobs available I am willing to do a job, or to help someone else. I've held high level positions in the past on Travian and in Stronghold Kingdoms but I don't think I'm very good in those positions. I'm autistic it takes a lot of work/effort for me to really communicate with others. I'm much better at planning, being active, and really, deeply understanding what works, and what doesn't . . . which is why  (prior to my diagnosis) I often moved up in position until I hit my level of incompetence. lol

BK is a meritocracy, so we like to reward members who contribute to the alliance. That being said, we have several entry level positions to choose from. Do any of these sound interesting to you?

Communications Staff - some design graphics for the alliance and possibly writing articles for our paper.

IA Staff - the Internal Affairs department has several positions available based on rank. IA Staff is the entry level position where you can start working yourself up. Duties include: contributing to the activity of the alliance by posting discussion topics and coming up with events, assisting leadership with the applicant interviews, recruiting and doing other random stuff.

Diplomat Corps - the public face of the alliance. Diplomats represent the alliance in other alliance forums/Discord channels and are responsible for reporting weekly to the FA Office.

Defence Staff - Defence staff are responsible for ensuring that BK performs the best it possibly can militarily.  They are responsible for helping our members meet their defence commitments, ensuring that raiders are promptly countered and for making sure that everyone is doing what they should be doing when war occurs.  

Awards

I'd like to hear more about the paper as the link leads me to a search of Iowa newspapers. I'd also like to hear more about what sort of discussion topics a staff member might be posting. I'm guessing that there is a lot on the forums that I currently can't see. lol

I'd likely need to know more about how fighting works in the game to determine if I'd be any good in defense.  So I guess the honest answer is that I'm interested in hearing more but don't know if I'd be good at the jobs. Diplomat is obviously out for me . . . an autistic diplomat might just be a contradiction in terms. :)

Yeah, I don't know why he put links on them; there shouldn't be any.

If a superior officer gave you an order you disagree with, what would you do?

Awards

That really depends on how the hierarchy functions. Unless it was obviously illegal or traitorous I'd likely do it. The leadership has been playing longer than I have and should know more about the alliance's over all strategy. Afterwards if I REALLY disagreed with it I might talk to that person's own superiors both to find out what they had to say and to let them handle anything that needed to be handled. There isn't much sense in joining a successful alliance and then just ignoring the organization and leadership that made it successful.

I would let both of them know about the issue and if they didn't settle the matter between them, or if it was time sensitive, I would follow the request of the higher rank individual while bringing the issue to the attention of those further up the chain of command.

6N4GIyP.png

Congratulations! Your application has been ACCEPTED!

You are now an academy student. You will receive a message in your inbox shortly explaining what to do from here, so please keep a lookout for that. In the meantime, you can introduce yourself in this thread if you want.

Awards